Welcome Autumn into your home
As this year’s unforgettable summer is drawing to a close and the nip in the air hints at autumnal chillier nights, it might be the time for a subtle décor change to re-introduce warm and cosy fireside evenings. Bring out fur throws, pashminas but consider also recovering your footstool in a soft wool, such as the Montrose Melton range by Isle Mill. A simple recover is a relatively inexpensive way of bringing fireside luxury back into your living space and with the vast range of colours and styles available, you won't have trouble finding a perfect match to compliment your existing furnishings.
Isle Mill combines the finest natural fibres with time-honoured techniques, weaving distinctive fabrics, many of which take their inspiration from the natural splendour and breathtaking colours of the surrounding Scottish Highlands. I have enjoyed using fabrics from many of their ranges, from houndstooth to tartans to the pastel shades of the Montrose Melton range such as this elegant oval stool with mid-century style tapering legs. This is a “piped narrow bordered” design shown in “blue tit” and is available to your own bespoke dimensions.
Wool is an ideal upholstery covering as it:
- is resilient because of its unique coiled structure so can bounce back to its original shape after compression
- has low thermal conductivity meaning it will remain cool in summer and warm in winter
- is stain repellent, as the complex structure means spills remain on the surface which then can be wiped off
- has excellent long-term appearance retention as good wool fabrics tend not to pill, crease or soil easily
- absorbs water vapour easily in hot humid weather meaning it remains comfortable to sit on without damp building up
- attracts less dust as it produces less static electricity properties than other fibres
- wears incredibly well and moulds beautifully round most upholstery shapes
- provides a comfortable platform for the sitter (Choose good quality woollen and Worsted spun yarns)
- wool holds deep dyes colours fast